Re: [LI] Web Server problem solved

Hi Satya,

Thanks for your cooperation and thanks bilal.

Now if I type http://rajesh I get the web page from /home/httpd/html.

Here is what I have done :
1. Changed hostname in /etc/sysconfig/network.
      hostname = "rajesh"

2. Changed my /etc/hosts file to :
   127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost rajesh

3. Created one more file /etc/hostname with contents
    rajesh

4. Changed the first line in /etc/resolv.conf to :
    search  rajesh

5. Started Network services using setup -> system services.
    Since I don't have any Ethernet Card on my PC I had disabled the Network
    service. If I enable the Network service than during shutdown I get the
     following error when it tries to shut down eth0 interface :

     Shutting down interface eth0 down : error fetching interface information :
    device not found.                                         [ FAILED ]

    Now I am getting the above error during shutdown because now I am starting
    network services during startup and that was the main reason for the error
    which I was getting if I type http://rajesh in the browser. (I think so,
    correct me if I am wrong) .

When network services are started, during startup I see two things :
1. Bringing up interface lo
2. Bringing up intergace eth0.

Can anybody throw light on what the above two things mean and whether the error
which I am getting during shutdown can be removed ? .

Thanks for the patient reading.

Thanks in advance.

Rajesh

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, you wrote:
> Hi Satya,

> I don't have any Ethernet Card on my PC. It's a standalone machine.
In that case remove the entry for 192.*.* assigned to your box using netcfg or
linuxconf  . YOu have probably bound it to a nonexistant interface.
You dont need it..  Take out any entries for routing.   The only interface
entry must be for the loopback (lo).  The only  IP address assigned in hosts
to your box must be 127.0.0.1. ALias localhost to rajesh.com

When you dial out dhcp takes care of assigning an IP address to yout box.
so no problem there.
> The output of netstat -a | grep LISTEN on my machine is as follows :
> tcp        0      0 *:6000                  *:*                     LISTEN
> tcp        0      0 *:postgres              *:*                     LISTEN
> tcp        0      0 *:www                   *:*                     LISTEN

The above looks good

Sathya

--
Rajesh(ALIAS Shriram)