Re: [LI] Modem Problem ..SOS!!

> But in this operating system i find it very difficult to define the
strings
> and as a mater of fact the dial tone comes for about 2 seconds and the
there
> comes a message saying that no dialtone????
>

> what do i do ...or as a matter of fact where do i define the strings????

hey
why don't you try using 'wvdial' <available on the PCQ Nov.99 CD> install it
using
rpm -ivh /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/wvdial*i386.rpm
then create its config file by
wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
your modem will be automatically detected and a config file created.you now
need to edit this config file to set your ISP's number , login name,
password and if u need to, change the init string.

i am new to linux , but i tried this  and it worked. hopefully it should
work for you too , or else wait for a better reply from someone else :-)

> and which strings to use?

i use ats10=10000s7=250s11=50x1
s10 sets modem so that it doesn't drop carrier on disturbance
s7 and s11 do fast tone dialling
x1 resets the modem <correct me ppl if im wrong>

cheers
Gami