Re: [LI] Headers at aunet.org ?

Ravi forced the electrons to say:
>   First of all - lists.linux-india.org and www.aunet.org seem to be the same
> box [ nslookups are identical ] - so how are you getting one box to answer
> to multiple host names?

It is all in the DNS configuration. If you want your machine to serve
two domains, you add two DNS entries in your primary DNS server's
configuration.  And in about a day, DNS servers all over the world will
get to know about it.

> 	for <linux-india@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Mon, 13 Dec 1999 23:35:44 GMT

> 	for <linux-india@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Mon, 13 Dec 1999 10:07:01 -0800

There are a variety of reasons to this. Here the times are different
because md3 is set to GMT whereas lists.linux-india.org is set to 8
hours behind GMT. Other reasons are different time settings in different
machines - no two machines are exactly synchronised, right? (Unless you
use NTP or something).

OK. considering that the time at Greenwich when lists.linux-india.org
got this mail is 6:07 pm, whereas md3 says it is 11:35 pm, the obvious
solution is that one of the machines is not set to the correct time. I
think the time on md3 is set to IST, with the tag GMT attached to it
(or the 5 1/2 hour difference is a coincidence).

> not majordomo - does that mean I could mail majordom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> and play around with it? and obviously since its an internal mail , it takes

>    and where did daemon come in  ? it never was delivered to daemon , was it
> ?

Sorry - can't help you there - check the majordomo FAQ or web site...

> 	for <ravikant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Mon, 13 Dec 1999 23:36:57 GMT
>
>   so this accounts for - 35:44 <-> 36:57  for a round trip from my box to

Yes... just about 2 minutes...

> md3 to lists.linux-india.org and back to giasmda ... makes sense...except
> that sometimes , i've seen mails take around 6 hours to do the journey...
> why is that? checking headers show that my box [which i usually use to

Sometimes when there is a network overload, the MTA spools messages
to deliver. This is especially the case with VSNL, as they have a
really great volume of email traffic. So, sendmail on VSNL will refuse
further connections, and sendmail on aunet.org will queue the mail for
later delivery.  sendmail tries every half hour for four hours and then
issue a warning message, and then it tries for four days to deliver
the message. If it is still unsuccessful, the mail is bounced back to
the sender.

> <shrug> , mutt , here I come !!! ;-)

Welcome to the club, brother!!

Binand

--
#include <stdio.h>                                   | Binand Raj S.
char *p = "#include <stdio.h>%cchar *p = %c%s%c;     | This is a self-