Re: [LI] traceroute freaking out?

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Kalyan Varma Alluri wrote:

Kalyan> If I'm not wrong you wont be getting any incomming mails..

  ha ha ha ... check out my mail on "List Repeatds" - posted to LI about 5
minutes back - to answer your thought - NO!! On the contrary I get about 3
copies of 1 in 4 mails .... basically about every 5 days I sit for around
20 minutes to rummage thro' some 200 or 300 something duplicates and
delete 'em .... So , *yes* , I *do* get my incoming mails fine.

Kalyan> try to run traceroute from somewhere outside INDIA. You will
Kalyan> see that till VSNL it will be fine then It goes into a loop.

  Hmm , about right now I *did* check this out from many different places
... [ symonds.net | capacitance.eng.umd.edu | tree0.stanford.EDU ]
  and the answer is , No. But things concerning vsnl usually are dynamic -
one moment everything works fine and I get download speeds of 6 k/s on
dial-up ... and for the next 3 days I cant get access to my own login ...
so its hard to say - 72+ hours is a *LONG* time - they prolly fixed it or
something .. <shrug>

Kalyan> VSNL guys have looped their routers. Call them up.

  Ok. *very* seriously , ... Go ahead and make a local|std|isd call to
vsnl chennai helpdesk and if they so much as pick up the phone , I swear I
will foot your entire bill for the month.
  the irony is , their helpdesk is "24 hours - round-the-clock server" -

Kalyan> I had to personally go to their ofiice to fix tis problem..

  Personally , I'm in such a state that I'm not *that* desparate to
actually *go* personally all the way to vsnl ... [ broken left leg -
immobile ]... and even if i *was* mobile .... for all the "help" that I
have received ... i really wouldn't bother about it. i would just get a
friend's satyam|dishnet|whatever isp and use that while vsnl fixes itself
  talk about a state of apathy eh ? ;-)

- ravi.