Re: [LI] NOVICE TO LINUX

>Hi folk,
>I am totally new to Linux and am writing for the first time to this list
>which I am reading since last month or so.
>I have installed RH6.1 on a Compaq Proliant 3000 (GREAT MACHINE) and have
>nearly 55 users (20 through dialin). My problem is:
>
>when we write a mail in window based client and do "Send & Receive" it
>takes long time (>60 secs) to transfer mail from server to user. I have
>put just one entry in /etc/sendmail.cf i.e Dshry.nic.in (hry.nic.in is
>domain). Even sending a mail from Linux server to a user therein (by pine)
>takes a while to deliver the mail locally. What is wrong with it?

if u are using sendmail, change to qmail suite, which is more robust,
scalable, reliable and fast.  We switched over from sendmail 8.8 to qmail
1.3 (or 03). Since then the windows clients
(outlook-netscape-eudora-internetmail-exchange all we tested) are sending
local and remote mails in a breeze.
try www.qmail.org, even better the dec chip cd has qmail rpms and the mag
has the discussion on how to remove sendmail and put qmail.