[LI] Error with my /dev/hdc IDE ATAPI CD-ROM Philips 48X

root:/> mountcd
mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
hdc: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: cdrom_decode_status: error=0xb4
hdc: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: cdrom_decode_status: error=0xb4
hdc: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: cdrom_decode_status: error=0xb4
hdc: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: cdrom_decode_status: error=0xb4
hdc: DMA disabled
hdc: ATAPI reset complete

Additional Information:

alias mountcd="mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom"

When I run the mountcd alias [mount command] the CD is picked up and
thrown into a fierce rotation [the CD-ROM is a UDMA-2 compliant with
7200rpm max.] and everything seems still and frozen for moments. I have to
wait 3 minutes before the prompt reappears.

When I press the pull-out/in button on the ROM, the errors above are
generated and thrown to the console and the prompt appears in less time
than before but with the DMS disables message

Plus the CD-ROM is also not locked. If I continue pressing the button, I
can pull the tray out although putting it back in and doing ls -l
/mnt/cdrom would fetch me the listing alright.

After all this, everything is just normal in terms of reading and writing
except that whenever some command invokes the CD out of its sleep, the
fast rotation and heavy noise are back!

I should probably disable UDMA support for /dev/hdc only. How to do that?