Re: [LI] Installing linux on network

vivek@xxxxxxxx forced the electrons to say:
> Hello all,
> 	Is it possible to install linux(I mean RedHat versions,...) on a
> machine where there is no cdrom drive from a remote computer where there
> is a cdrom drive? If so how to do it(step-wise please)?
> 	1 more ? Is redhat 6.1 really stable?
> Thanx in advance.
>
> Cheers!

Did that just yesterday. Step by step:

1. On the machine with CD drive, call it machine A, enable anonymous FTP.
2. Make the directory /home/ftp/pub
3. Mount the RH CD there - ie, with the command
mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /home/ftp/pub
(replace hdc with your CD device).
4. Copy the file /home/ftp/pub/RedHat/instimgs/bootnet.img onto a _fresh_ floppy
using
dd if=/home/ftp/pub/redHat/instimgs/bootnet.img of=/dev/fd0
5. Use this floppy to boot the machine without CD drive - let us say machine
B.
6. It will ask for IP address and nameserver information. I had used DHCP.
7. Give the IP address of machine A and /pub as the directory when asked for
the FTP server's details.
8. Continue with the installation.

Note that this method of installation is recommended only over ethernet
because of the tremendous load it puts on the network. In particular, don't
even dream of trying it over PPP. I had checked netstat -A inet on machine A,
and there were about 50 FTP connections at any given time (even though many
were in FIN_WAIT1 state).

Regards,

Binand
--
#include <stdio.h>                                   | Binand Raj S.
char *p = "#include <stdio.h>%cchar *p = %c%s%c;     | This is a self-