Re: [LI] Re:Linux India Digest V1 #417

hi manoj
u r right, connecting to win95/98/NT box (or server) is possible thru
samba- of late, i have been exerimenting alot with this, and have found
some threads:

1. to access your win shares, u HAVE to set your Linux m/c to be in the
   same domain (or workgroup) as win. for this, u have to make  changes in
   your /etc/smb.conf file:  (suppose your win workgroup (domain) is pso)

   [global]
      workgroup = pso

having done so, restart your smb daemon (/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart)
the following utilities r there to access win shares from Linux:

smbclient
smbmount
smbmnt

the man pages r pretty elaborate, and u'll be able to connect easily!!

the other way round is bit trivial! trivial in the sense:
1. the way windows exchanges pwd over the lan - to correct that, u have to
   make a small change in the registery. read the doc files:

   /usr/doc/samba-2.0.3/docs/
   	Win95_PlainPassword.reg  NT4_PlainPassword.reg
   	Win98_PlainPassword.reg

2. having made the necessary changes, there is another issue before a win
   box can connect to your Linux m/c:

	you have to make atleast one "share" in your smb.conf. for that,
	go thru samba man pg, also, the smb.conf file itself has lots of
	comments that tell u doing things.

3. last issue remains to be resolved is, that u HAVE to have a user in
   your win n/w same as one in your Linux m/c. not only this, the pwd
   should also be the same! i could not figure out why that should be, but
   thats the way it is!

go ahead, experiment things around, and have a great time sambaing!!

Sandeep Singh Cheema
ACT-PSO
HCL Infosystems
3rd Floor Subharam Complex
144 MG Road Bangalore- 560001

Most people will listen to your unreasonable demands, if you'll consider
their unacceptable offer.