Re: [LI] Switching to Runlevel 3

On 7 Dec 1999, ADITYAN MURTHY wrote:

> Is there any key which i can hit while linux is loading so that i can switch
> to runlevel 3 from 5?  I am running RH 6.1

you can run the interactive boot session that RHL 6.1 gives you . hit the
letter 'i' or 'I' during startup and you will be asked individually if you
want to start up whatever service you want to... and you can also choose
at that point if you want runlevel 3 or 4 or 5 or whatever.

*the above is specific to RedHat Linux 6.1 - not even older versions
support of RedHat Support it*

the other way is to complete boot up , and do a
# telinit 3
you could manually shut off whatever you dont need too , using killall
etc. judiciously.

also read the docs on /etc/inittab on how to configure to id3 default.

HtH

- ravi.