[LI] terminal problem

hi
my name is karthik.i ma relatively new to linux.after installing redhat 6.1
and using the default settings of the xwindows which was autoprobed(since i
have sis6326) i opened startx and the terminal console under gnome but the
window was blank with no text in it.i just typed setup but npothing appeares
on the screen and then pressed enter.the setup box had opened but nont of the
text inside it was displayed.i want to know if this is due to my sis card or i
have to do something with my configuration of linux.is caldera better than red
hat interms of hardware compliance can someone help me
karthik
my email is pandumani@xxxxxxx