Re: [LI] mail server problem sendmail 8.8.x

Thus spake "Mazumder, Anik (CTS)"

> Can you tell me which lines to comment out ? I am pretty new to
> sendmail

I would not advice uncommenting these at all.  Look for the
check_rcpt tables.

Thus spake Jiju Thomas Mathew:

> the web site on the server is also okay.  The sendmail was giving
> error "...we do not relay" till I remarked the spam reference line in
> sendmail.cf., then it started accepting relay mail, is it because send

Why are you doing this?  sendmail.cf can be easily set to relay for
your LAN and localhost.  rDNS lookup is essential so that you can
verify just who is using your mailserver - you people (authorized
users), or spammers.

Do NOT uncomment this under any circumstances.

As it is, if you need sendmail on a machine so that processes can
send out mail (as you are downloading mail through some kind of
third party utility), but no inbound mail facilities are needed, so all
you need to do is change the startup settings by removing the "-bd"
flag.

The -bd flag (-bD if run in the foreground) tells sendmail to listen on
port 25 and if that is deleted, it will only deliver locally generated
mail rather than acting as a full-blown mailserver.

This will only secure a server for as long as the -bd flag is disabled,
so should be regarded as a temporary measure.  Eventually,
someone is bound to accidentally re-enable the -bd flag.  Much
better, please update to sendmail 8.9.3 or later.

If you have a problem generating check_rcpt tables, just go to
ftp://ftp.jpcert.or.jp/pub/security/tools/CF/ and download their .cf
generator.  Also see http://www.sendmail.org/tips/relaying.html

--s

Suresh Ramasubramanian
106D, Aditya Enclave, Ameerpet, Hyderabad 500038, India.
Phone: +(91-40)3736553/3745398 | eFax: +(1-603)590-5437
Suresh@xxxxxxxxxxx | Suresh@xxxxxxxx
http://www.kcircle.com | http://www.angen.net/~pegasus/
  It will be generally found that those who sneer
  habitually at human nature and affect to despise it
  are among its worst and least pleasant examples.
     -- Charles Dickens