[LI] kernel and porting

Hello there,
For studying the kernel in depth, can anyone gimme pointers as to
where I can start from so that as I go on, I get on to the working
of the kernel, the memory management done by the kernel, scheduling
and all that which is done by the kernel. All this so that it does not
go over my head and learn something also.

I have tried the minimal hand-made linux and it works in vmware.
Now I need to implement it on my machine. I think that should not be a
problem ( yeah that distro of mine Sidux ;-)

And can anybody point me to the aspects that are to be considered while
porting an UNIX application to Linux and steps to be taken so that
the application subsequently developed can be packaged into rpm,deb or
<distro-specific-packacing>.
TIA

Regards
               Khader