Re: [linux-india-programmers] Re: [LI] struct task

Hi arun,

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Arun Sharma wrote:

> I'm not sure which UNIX you're talking about here. The only "UNIX" I've
> access to source code is FreeBSD and it doesn't do it that way.

  Actually, i don't have access to any Unix source code. But i have seen
  in a book on unix device drivers, they refer to u->u_base for user
  space. And when i tried to write some simple drivers for linux, i found
  that we directly get the address of user space buffer(as you told).

> objdump -h /bin/ls
>
> and look at the .data section. Or print the address of a global variable
> in a C program and you'll know what I mean.

  Yes, for global variables the format is 0x8xxxxxxx, but Why?

sudheer