[LI] midi playback under linux not working

Hi folks,

I have downloaded the timitidty-0.2i-7.i386.RPM but when I tried to install it,
it gave me dependency error for libslang.0.

Redhat 6.1 installs the latest Slang libraries (libslang.1), but timidity is
asking for old libraries. For that I even downloaded slang-0.99.38-8.i386.
But even after installing them I still get the dependency error. If I uninstall
the new Slang libraries  than I get error during startup Checking new hardware
( Slang libraries not found...).

Has anybody installed timidity from rpm package successfully. Please help me,
since under Linux I am unable to hear midi sound. Manoj you may be able to help
me on this.

Manoj suggested to install GUS sound patches, but when I searched through the
net I found that the tar file size is around 10MB. Can PCQ put these sound
patches on their future CD. Atul Hope you are reading this ? I have sent a mail
to PCQ regarding this. It will be great if I could hear midi sound using Kmidi
or Timidity under linux.

Thanks for reading patiently this long mail.

Hoping to get some solution.

ps. I have found a great CD ripper and Mp3 encoder under linux called Grip. It's
worth a try. You will get the site address if you just type grip in search
engine. I used Yahoo for this. You also need bladeenc installed for MP3
encoding.

 --
Rajesh(ALIAS Shriram)
Kurtarkar Nagari, Bldg-C,