Re: [LI] ILUG Blr Meeting Minutes <Hrs?> >> DU <<

Hi

> what was the prob with du ( the thread that was skimpily existent on the list
> after two births and no explainations ) will anybody please get back into ur
> memory banks and fish out this bit of info for me ?? puulleeaase........
> --
> Chetan Gopal K.

I have looked into how du does the thing. And quiet naturally it uses
stat. And which inturn picks it form inode for ext2. The ext2 inode for files is
storing that additional Block info there. The ext2 inode structure seems to
have been updated. Or previously I have missed out some of the info in the
inode. Either way I will be looking into it in a few days as I have some other
important  official work to finish also. I will update everyone on the list,
Once I find time to hack into ext2 fs. One could also put the question in the
kernel mailing list ( I mean the ext2 using some additional block(s??) per
file), BUT I DON'T want to do it with out DOING MY HOMEWORK properly first.

As a wild guess it seems its storing the blocks used for managing the file also
in the Number_of_blocks field of the inode structure for the file (like the
indirect (Single,double,Triple) blocks, ACL (is it integrated into ext2??, or
is it for future(thats what it seems like now)), etc).

---------
Keep :-)
HanishKVC