Re: [LI] Info on Y2K!!! >> Unixs' Userspace time representation is Y2K compliant <<

Hi

> hmmm...then the least you could do is to work on the paths of the y2k definition
> of sendmail.org. Check for bounce, new messages time format, etc. Yes. sendmail
> does picks up the date from the OS so you could also take a look at the
> readiness of RH 5.2 for Y2K and leave the rest to god *maybe* :-)
>
> means to test the sendmail program for y2k readiness. To the best of my
> understanding, sendmail uses the date from OS... so if the OS is y2k ready,
> sendmail

NOTE: What I describe here may and in all likelyhood depends on the
architecture of your system. i.e whether its a pc or a sparc or a alpha. (i.e
32 bit or 64 bit).

Unix uses time_t (a long int) to represent time in the user space. This inturn
stores the time interms of the number of seconds elapsed since 0:00 1 Jan 1970.
Thus this is cooly y2k complaint. However in 32 bit based systems if you
calculate you will find that this has a finite limit as to till what time ,
time can be stored in this time_t which is a long integer. But still this
shouldn't be a problem as by this time we will have moved over to 64 bit
systems on these platforms like the PCs, which inturn leads to a practicaly
infinite representation of time.

However  if you are using some applications which inturn interpret the time in
their own ways then One cann't make a general statement, One has to look into
how they interpret datetime.

---------
Keep :-)
HanishKVC