Re: [LI] PPPD dies unexpectedly

Rajesh Fowkar wrote:

> I am using kppp on Red Hat 6.1 without "noauth" in /etc/ppp/options.
> No problems at all.
>
> On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, you wrote:
>
> > For me, it worked without noauth in etc options, with both gnome dialer
> > and kppp.
> > --
> > L.V.Gandhi

Going by the documentation on pppd I suspect you two are lucky enough not
to have entered anything in the "Gateway" field during the RH6.1 setup.
(You can crosscheck by looking at the /etc/sysconfig/network file).

As of version 2.3.6 (or was it 2.3.0 ??) pppd changed its default behaviour
regarding authenticating the remote peer. Previously, the default *was* noauth,
whereas now it is "auth" where the remote side has to authenticate itself -
except for one specific case which you (and me) would fall into. (I include
myself too in that group because I also have pppd working without "noauth").

The specific exception mentioned is that if the ip address that the peer
provides you with is an address to which you *do not already* have a route to,
pppd wouldn't insist on authenticating the peer. (If one has a default gateway
defined, there is always a route to *any* ip address  - i.e. your gateway)..

Correct me if I'm wrong - Rakesh / Gandhi.. If so, we'll have to pursue some
other trail to track down the mysterious "pppd demise syndrome" !!

Regards,

Kala