Re: [LI] Bare Bones Linux

Actually there is already a distro which does that. It has the barebone
kernel with the compiler and then you go on to compile each source code
to your liking. It is called ROCK LINUX and here is the README
at http://www.rocklinux.org/readme.html

-swaps

* * * * *

*
*
       *   ROCK Linux is Copyright (C) 1998, 1999  Clifford
Wolf                 *

*
*
       *   Read the file 'COPYING' for licensing
details.                        *

*
*
       *   The ROCK Linux Homepage:
<http://linux.rock-projects.com/>            *

*
*
* * * * *

      ROCK Linux is a Linux distribution compiled by Clifford Wolf. Some
of the
      main features are:

      - Built on the latest availabile sourcecode for all packages.
        (also including kernel, compiler and libraries}
      - Compiled with the latest released version of gcc.
      - ...for your choice of processor (currently x86-compatibles
only).
      - patches to work around known problems with the various source
packages
        included with the distribution.
      - no fancy configuration GUIs to hide what is happening on a file
level
        (But of course the latest release/snapshot of Xfree86 and some
        windowmanagers are included.)

      Due to the lack of a configuration GUI, this distribution is
mostly designed
      for skilled Linux/Unix Administrators, *or people who want to get
those
      skills*. A reasonably well configured installation of Rock Linux
should be
      useful for any computer user.

      ROCK Linux is built by a few shell scripts. These scripts can
download all
      necessary sourcecode from the internet, compile the packages with
optimizations
      for your choice of processor, build the package files and
(optionally) create
      a CD-ROM image.

      ROCK Linux is a small distribution, but it's not a "mini
distribution". It
      comes with over 200 packages including X11 and the GNOME Desktop.

      The "ROCK Linux Sourcecode" (i.e. the shell scripts, patches,
package
      description, ..) can be found at
<http://linux.rock-projects.com/>. The
      binary distribution can be downloaded from some mirrors listed on
that site.

      Before doing anything you should have a look at the files BUILD
and INSTALL
      in the ./Documentation/ directory. These files describe how to
compile and
      install ROCK Linux and the basics needed to administrate ROCK
Linux.

      If you want to subscribe to the ROCK Linux mailing list, send
e-mail
      to <minimalist@xxxxxxxxxxx> with the subject "subscribe
rock-linux".

      To view the changelog of the ROCK Linux project, please visit:
      http://linux.rock-projects.com/misc/CHANGELOG

      Please send bug-reports and/or suggestions to god@xxxxxxxxxxxx

       - Clifford Wolf

      mailto:god@xxxxxxxxxxx