PC Quest March 99 issue has an article titled 'Online with Linux' which
shows a setup which kills named and starts named with another
configuration file once you are connected to the net. The article should
be available under Linux at pcquest.com

In that setup /etc/ppp/ip-up.local has entries like

/usr/bin/killall -9 named
/usr/sbin/named /etc/named.conf.online

and /etc/ppp/ip-down.local has lines like

/usr/bin/killall -9 named
/usr/sbin/named /etc/named.conf

The /etc/named.conf.online has the following lines in it which
/etc/named.conf does not have.

zone "." {
  type hint;
  file "named.ca";
};

Hope you have a named.ca file in /var/named

Abdul