>> With Linux(unix) you STILL HAVE A CHANCE if KEYBOARD locks or a App hangs << Re: [LI] Wine update

Hi

> Window$ Media Player is Bill Gate$ revenge on Linux. It loads, but if I try
> to open a file, the program crashes Linux so badly that nothing short of a
> power off and cold reboot is needed, followed by a long process of
> ("filesystems not cleanly unmounted .. check forced") getting back into Linux.

If a program accesses the keyboard in raw mode, then if it hangs due to some
problem, it might lead to a situation where you can no longer use the keyboard
TILL that APPLICATION is KILLED. So if you are on a network, try accessing or
TELNETING into your m/c from over the network and KILL the OFFENDING
application, it should in most of the cases BRING BACK SENSE into your m/c.

Or

If your MOUSE is still active you can configure specail action for the mouse
buttons. Check out the GPM documentation.

*********** from GPM's man page      *************
The capability to  invoke
       commands  using  the mouse is a handy one for programmers,
       because it allows to issue a clean shutdown when the  key­
       board is locked and no network is available to restore the
       system to a sane state.