Re: [LI] Need help badly

On Sun, Nov 28, 1999 at 09:06:01AM +0530, Satya wrote:
> This might not be the right mailing list - but since I use RedHatLinux - I
> have decided to post anyway. Help if highly appreciated.
>
> We have a set up at the our client site having the following configuration:
>
> 1. Linux machine - RedHat Linux 6.0
> 2. # 1 hosts a Apache web server 1.3.9
> 3. # 1 also hosts Apache JServ machine 1.0
> 4. # 1 also hosts GNUJSP 0.91 and its supporting JSP engine.
>
> Give this setup - when the server is running, they have 8 JVMs running on
> the server. Out of which - ONLY one is being used.

You need to read the mod_jserv documentation carefully and make sure that
mod_jserv specific parts of your httpd.conf are configured for one JVM and
not 8.

Alternatively, you can set AjpManual (something which sounds like this) to
"on" and start only one JVM manually. This is explained in the documentation.

> We perceive that this is one of the problem for the performance degradation
> of the server.

Unless you use something decent like IBM JDK, most Linux JVM have pretty
bad performance compared to their commercial counterparts. See volano mark
benchmarks on the net.

Also, consider Jakarta (http://jakarta.apache.org) instead of GNU jsp.

	-Arun

PS: In Linux, a thread = process. So if your JVM is spawning threads, you
may see them as processes in ps.