Re: [LI] AfterStep -- Xterm , Fonts ? Help !

On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, Vishweshwar Saran Singh Deo "Surguja" wrote:

> Q1. How Do I keep my selected font in Xterminal as Default when I open the
>     X-Term next time. I use xfontsel ofcourse.

> Q2. When Afterstep starts It opens Xterm automatically with foreground as
>     peach puff colour and background as black. How do I change. Please don't
>     give me answer saying " xterm -fg white -bg blue" I know it already.

I know nothing about Afterstep, so at the risk of telling you something
that you might already know ......

Any xresource, be it fonts, geometry or colours can be customised through
the .Xdefaults or .Xresources file in your directory. For example to set
the font and background colour add

xterm*font:		8x16
xterm*foreground:	white
xterm*background:	blue

and then issue: "xrdb -merge ./.Xdefaults"

You may check the RESOURCES section in the manpage of any X application to
see which of the resorces can be customised and the exact keywords for
each feature.

> also I tried to change the resourse but I couldn't get.

Three common reasons why this happens is that

1) some X apps are finicky about the resource keywords. Check the manpage
   of the relevant application to see the exact resource name

2) I generally forget to issue xrdb after the change is made.

3) Some X apps are finicky about case in .Xdefaults. I too had a lot of
   problems with an older version of xterm which insisted on it being
   spelt Xterm not xterm, in the .Xresource file.