[LI] SiS 6202 partly working

Today I brought out the manual that came with my monitor (Samtron
SC-428PS). I edited and checked the XF86Config file, and commented
out all the modelines not supported by the monitor. Also confirmed the
clockrates for the supported modes.
Still getting only 640 x 480, albeit more colour depths.
btw, how do I check what color depth I am getting?
I am running GNOME, KDE is not installed.

Also, I would like to know how to trap all the text that X spews out
while starting, into an ASCII text file.
Any input would be appreciated...

Regards,

Rajnish

Rohit <rohits@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote :

> Im Windows, I get 24 bit color at 800 x 600, and 16 bit color at
> 1024 x 768. I guess the same should be possible in Linux...
> I think there is something wrong in the config file that I can't
> understand. Does somebody else have the same monitor (Samtron
> SC-428PS/PSL ), and getting all resolutions ?

Right. You should get all the colours. And if you are manually entering
all the refresh rates etc. then I don't think make of the
monitor is important.
Am I right, others?