[LI] Question regarding the Linux file system i/o

Hi,

We are using RedHat Linux 6.0. In our application we also use the Linux file
system and the database - though we are heavily tiltling towards Linux file
system at the moment. Linux kernel is 2.2.10

I wanted to ask quedstiosn on these issues:
1. What is the right directory structure one has to create - if I have to
create a set of files for every user of the system?
	Ex:
	All files in a single directory or each set of files in separate
directory.
2. Is there a recommend limit on the number of files in a single directory?
When does the performance of the file system degrades?
3. Has any body doen experiment on - database query v/s file system i/o
(seek - basically)? Which one is recommended - though my gut feeling says it
is database (I am using Oracle 8)

Thanks, Satya