[LI] getty unable to fork login

Hi,

I have a linux box with above 100 users on it.  Today to my surprise, when I
tried to telnet to it from some other m/c, it simply refused the connection.
When I went to the console and tried to login I got the error message saying
"getty - unable to fork child processes". I simply rebooted the m/c(power
cycle) and after that it was working fine. Why is this so? Is there any
limitation on the number of child processes that getty (or any parent
process for that matter) can fork?

Thanks in Advance

Sunil Sarat