Re: [LI] Compression for Dial In Server

--S.K. Singh--

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Anand Biligiri S wrote:

> Hi all
>
> authentication. When i open FTP connections i get tranfer rate of
> 4.0kb/sec.Is this the maximum speed attainable? Am using 56kbps modems

As I undersatnd mgetty can use 33 kbps downlink speed on normal telephone
line. For full 56 kbps u will require an ISDN line as mgetty does not
support full 56 k features on normal tel. lines.

> at both ends.I have enabled compression on the client side(Win9x).I see
> an entry in /var/log/messages as "Compression disabled by peer". I have
> aliases for ppp_deflate and bsd_comp on conf.modules.I also tried using
> compression option with pppd in /etc/ppp/options but connection dropped.

These compressions are software compression and useful if Linux to Linux
box connects from both ends. Linux does not understand the Windows
software compression properly as it is secure code. However the software
compression does not make significant improvement if hardware compression
utility of modem at both ends are enabled.

You may just ignore it.