[LI] Compression for Dial In Server

Hi all

I have set up a dial in server as described in PCQ . Using PAP
authentication. When i open FTP connections i get tranfer rate of
4.0kb/sec.Is this the maximum speed attainable? Am using 56kbps modems
at both ends.I have enabled compression on the client side(Win9x).I see
an entry in /var/log/messages as "Compression disabled by peer". I have
aliases for ppp_deflate and bsd_comp on conf.modules.I also tried using
compression option with pppd in /etc/ppp/options but connection dropped.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Anand Biligiri S