[LI] Mouse + X Windows

Hi,
I have two questions.....

1.    What should i do, if i want to change the COM port where my mouse
is connected. Initially i configured it work on COM2, but i want to
change that to COM1. I see one file, "mouseconfig" , but it does not
specify where the mouse is connected.

2.    How can i change my preference, from Starting X windows, to a
normal text mode startup.
During the installation of RED HAT, i specified that X windows should
start whenever i boot my system with LINUX. But due to incorrect
information about the COM port where my mouse is installed, i am unable
to log in and feel helpless. Say like in DOS, we have the autoexec.bat
with some initials commands before startup, and i can escape that file.
Is that sort of thing exists in LINUX.

Aruneesh.