[LI] Font smoothing

I'm new so be gentle.

Installed Linux 6.01. Installed GNOME. Worked on Netscape Comm 4.61. But the fonts are waaaaaay too jagged. Soon as "-1" directive comes in, the display goes berserk. It's 100% UNreadable in "-2" (if you know your HTML, you'll understand I'm speaking of reducing the font size). If I increase the font size, the default size is becomes too bulky for easy reading... GAWD! I'm gowin craizee! BTW, I don't care about any other application since I'm using this system only for web-browsing.

Now I have another machine running OSR2 and MS has this "font-smoothing" utility. Do we have anything similar for Linux's GUI? Or is it done the hard-coding way? Or is it impossible?

Hardware: Celeron 400 with a S3Trio DX (4Mb VRAM?).

Looking forwaard to 'enlightening' responses,