[LI] >> STEPS TO INSTALL LINUX BY HAND ( its a simple concept ) << Re: [LI] >> Automated stuffs and the Associated problems <<

Hi

> Finally - if you have the savvy to do it (I don't, as yet) switch to
> slakware or debian so that you can tweak all you want.

Well let me add one thing here, If one wants One can install REDHAT with most
of the flexibility one wants by USING the REDHAT CD, but by still not using the
Automating scripts they provide, but doing the required things in the proper
order by using the packages available in RedHat CD.

Lets see the 10 MACRO STEPS involved:
I am writing this here only because many of the new linux users have started by
using the Automating scripts with most of the new distributions.

********
What I am writing here is what I am thinking just as I am writing so I
may miss out on some or many stuff. Do CORRECT ME if I am WRONG.
*********

1) Have a Linux on FLoppy Distributions Floppy with you. (You may require to
add the package manager for your distribution into this floppy) It should also
have tools like fdisk, mkfs.ext2, mkswap, swapon, mount, umount, rdev, cp,
chmod, ls, etc.etc. etc.

 	Boot from this floppy

2) Partition your harddisk (fdisk) Also specify the boot partition.

3) Create the Filesystem (mkfs.ext2)

4) Initialize the swap partition and activate or load it or what ever one calls
If required ( mkswap and swapon )

5) Mount your distributions CD .

6) mount your Destination Root partition (The one which will contain Your
distribution) some where in your current Root partition.( The one provided by
the floppy distribution).

7) Create the Standard root file system with all the required directories and
subdirectories with the proper rights ( The distributions should have this has
a package )

8) Install the InitScripts (If you are going to install most of the packages
from your distribution) or Create your own (If you want a very minimal linux
system).

	#inittab
	#rc scripts (if any for minimal)
	#fstab
	etc. etc. etc.

9) Install the various packages
	#Kernel ( I assume /boot or equivalent, /lib/modules)
	#libc6  in /lib
	#ld (dynamic loader) in /lib
	#init in /sbin
	#termcap (library required by bash). in /lib
	#bash /bin
	#sh (a symbolic link to bash ) in /bin
	(check out /usr/src/linux/init/main.c as to why it may be useful)
	#mount
	#insmod, rmmod, modprobe, depmod (modutils most probably).
 	etc. etc. etc.

	CONFIGURE them as required (usually thro some file in /etc or some
times in /var).

10) You may have to use rdev on your kernel image to tell it as to which is
your ROOT partition which is to be mounted once this new kernel boots. (Also to
tell which is your swap partition, default video mode so on.)

	Next either you can copy this kernal image into a floppy and use this
floppy to boot the system or Install one of the boot managers like lilo.

11) An additional step (MAYBE): The package manager in your system will be
maintaining the list of packages installed, You will have to copy it  from
the location in your currently mounted Filesystem to the  proper location in
your Destination Root Filesystem. Or maybe you can ask it to put this
information at the proper place in the TOBE Rootfile system which is mounted
somewhere in your current VFS.

A SMALL DOUBT: I haven't actually looked into how redhat takes care of this,
how do they  do this for their  rpm database of all the installed packages.

12) Reboot. ( Comeon this is not a step :-)

And also let me tell you that the best way to know LINUX IN and OUT is to try
and setup a system with out using the help of any of the Automating scripts.

---------
Keep :-)
HanishKVC