Re: [LI] >> Automated stuffs and the Associated problems << Problems With Cluster Size in RHL6.1

Hi

> Hi ,
>     On installing RHL6.1 I found that the default cluster size
> was 4098 bytes.I don't know how to make it 1024 bytes.I
> tried out one method and it worked.

<snip>
>     I booted from the bootable floppy,typed rescue at the LILO prompt.At the
> shell prompt I issued -
> mke2fs -m 1 -b 1024 /dev/hda6
> Then I installed RHL 6.1 in Graphical Mode **
> I chose not to format /dev/hda6.
>
> ****Note : This could not be done in text mode,where the option of not
> formatting the partition was just unreachable.

<snipped here and there>

This is the problem with using automated install scripts which come with most
of the new distributions than doing the things by hand as was the case in the
not so old times.

The PROBLEM is the distributors  structure their things around the automated
scripts they have and IF THEY FORGET to provide a particular option like
choosing the Cluster size or Not Format in Text mode  or so then you are stuck
unless you go about it either FULLY MANUALY or use a mixture of some manual
steps and other automated stuff.

This later method of mixing some Manual and some Automated logic can sometimes
give problems as you found in the Text mode not providing an option of deciding
as to whether to format a partition or not , as the Distributor wouldn't have
thought of anyone going about it this way.

This is were I would have preffered the Older method of doing most of the
things manualy because

	a) You KNOW WHAT IS HAPPENING to your system FULLY and you will
understand your system BETTER.

	b) You have FULL FLEXIBILITY.

But then all the NEW USERS coming to linux would love the NEWER Automated
installation stuff which is most of the times Simpler and Safer. Well thats how
the things are.

---------
Keep :-)
HanishKVC