Re: [LI] File structure and Distros

On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 07:12:35PM +0530, skhader@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello Folks,
> Among the Linux material I have, one of them says that
> " Linux imposes no structure on files ".
> Can anybody explain what this means exactly ??
> And is it unique to Unix/Linux ?? Is it also found on
> Other OSes ( Like Mac, M$, Be etc...) ??

This is not a distro specific question. The above statement does NOT
refer to the filesystem hierarchy, as you may be thinking. That is
standardized using FSSTND or some such thing across distros.

What this means is that File I/O in Linux is "untyped". You just
treat files as a sequence of bytes and not records of a particular type
etc.

	-Arun