[LI] File structure and Distros

Hello Folks,
Among the Linux material I have, one of them says that
" Linux imposes no structure on files ".
Can anybody explain what this means exactly ??
And is it unique to Unix/Linux ?? Is it also found on
Other OSes ( Like Mac, M$, Be etc...) ??

Can anybody provide me a link to the differences among
various Distros or provide some information regarding
the same ( Comprehensive ) ??
TIA
Regards
     Khader

Syed Khader Vali                                       skhader@xxxxxxxxxx
Associate Technical Executive             # 91-80-5262355      Extn:2527
IBM Global Services India (P) Ltd.