[LI] How to Tune my system ?

Hi List,

I am newbie, and somehow got hold of Linux fever. I hava Pentium-100 Mhz PC with
32MB RAM & 1GB HDD.

I installed Redhat 5.2 from pcq CD, but recently upgraded it to Redhat 6.1 from
pcq CD. The problem is that the system appears to be slow and OS seems to
exhaust much of CPU time while running X. Moreover if i compile some Java
program... X crashes. Moreover X crashes are very frequent.

Can anybody tell me some tips for tuning my system for better performance.

TIA
- Vikram