Re: [LI] how to setup mail server

for a mail server you should have pop3 and MTA running.  if on startup u see
a line
probably at the end of the boot sequence, "starting sendmail ...." then you
are partly into
business.
now you can try telnet <your ipno> 25
(port 25 is for smtp, and the smtp server should answer with some welcome
msg)
use command quit to quit from here

then try telnet <your ipno> 110
(port 110 is the pop3 port and should also respond)
normally RH, always i find the pop server not installed in the default.
so better find Qpop from the net it was available from www.freshmeat.net
or try any other site you know. there is one implementation of ids-pop3
along
with the PCQ RHL, try that.

if you need to access external server and dowload internet mail for internal
clients,
you need to configure fetchmail also.

A caching dns (install using atuls script from pcq ) will make it easy on
your MTA,
and configuring ur /etc/resolv.conf to check the local dns would be the best
way.

well if this is also okay, you are almost there...
some other things are check out these howtos
Intranet-Server-Howto
NET-3-howto
Mail-howto

>i am planning to setup a mailserver on linux with clients on 95. is there
any
>info available on this. when i try configuring my sendmail thru linuxconf,
it
>starts to hang at bootup.
>
>can i network the server with a exsisting mail setup using exchange ?

what exchange? exchange server (nt) requires a mail gateway, exchange in
win95 is just a poor client

>also is there any book/material available  ? let me know the name/address.

the howtos are more than enough.