[LI] Mail Multiplexor

Hi All,

I wonder if there is any way to implement something  like Netscape's Mail
Multiplexor using Sendmail or QMail or any other free MTA  on Linux?

The concept is this:

I need to set up a free mail system that is  expected to start small but
eventually grow to several hundred thousand users  over 18 months or so.
Since the growth is uncertain, I don't want to buy a  mega-server but would
rather start with one smallish server and then keep adding  machines as and
when needed.

The need is to make the configuration of the mail  client as simple as
possible for the users of this service. Instead of  del1.vsnl.net.in,
bom3.vsnl.net.in, etc. (the way VSNL does it), I'd like my  users to simply
type "mail.domain.com" in the server settings.

So when a user checks his mail, the multiplexor  (mail.domain.com) checks
to see which is the home server of this user, and acts  as a gateway
between the user and his server.

An added bonus would be improved security as the  real mail server could
sit behind a firewall and only the multiplexor is exposed  to the internet.

Any ideas?

--Pawan