Re: [LI] Problem with info-page

On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Sameer D. Sahasrabuddhe wrote:

> I recently installed the "time" package from the PCQ-CD. It comes
> with an info file, time.info.gz, which gets installed in the "info" root
> directory. But when I give the command "info time" at the prompt,
> the "Linux Programmers' Manual" page for the <time.h> functions is
> displayed.

To view an info file with the "info <file-name>" command, you need that
filename entered in the "dir" file that contains an index of all info
files. See the file /etc/dir and add an appropriate entry. The syntax is
very simple.

To view an info file that does not have an entry in the /etc/dir, use
"info -f <file-name>". SuSE 6.2 comes with a perl script that updates a
/etc/dir file whenever a new info file is installed. I could dig it out if
you are interested.