[LI] [TwinCLinG] backup problem

---------------------- Forwarded by Khader V Syed/India/IBM on 11/21/99
11:15 AM ---------------------------

"mahipal rao" <viswako@xxxxxxxxxxx> on 11/21/99 10:05:38 AM

Please respond to ilughyd@xxxxxxxxxxx

To:   ilughyd@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc:    (bcc: Khader V Syed/India/IBM)
Subject:  [TwinCLinG] backup problem

Okay, I can't understand why something this simple has turned out to
be so elusive. Anyway, I have two machines, both with win95/linux
dual boot (and hard drives partitioned accordingly). I want to backup
everything from the win95 partition of one machine to the linux
partition of the other machine. I can't seem to get all of the files
copied... some end up missing from the second machine.

I've tried mounting the win95 partition on the second machine and
doing "cp -pR <win95_partition_mount_point> <win95_backup_dir>", but
that doesn't seem to work for _all_ files in the win95 partition.
I've tried "tar cvf /win95.tar <win95_partition_mount_point>", and
again, it misses lots of files. I tried gftp, but it crashed several
times trying to do the transfer.

So has anyone done this successfully before? If so, please let me
know how. My goal is to be able to re-format the win95 partition
cleanly and start over, since it has some strange behaviors that need
to be corrected (and lots of weird files that windows seems to like to
fill up the disk with over time).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.