[OT] Re: [LI] Re: [ilug-blr] Re: Times of India articles

On Sun, Nov 21, 1999 at 03:42:17AM +0500, Bilal Muddassir wrote:
> If Microsoft loses its almost-lost antitrust trial against the US government
> and is forced to open its source code for the Windows OS, would be affect
> Linux OS in any way?

This is a little off topic - belongs to linux-india-general (Thaths, is
it alive ?). But going by the 'expert opinion' on Slashdot, MS is unlikely
to be forced to open source windows, as people see it as 'capital punishment',
for a smaller crime.

However, should it happen, I'd expect people who see open source as a
matter of principle to stick to whatever OS they're using. For the majority
(who in my opinion don't care about free as in 'free speech', but care about
free as in 'free beer', because they are not programmers) if Windows is
legally available at the same cost as open source OSes, Linux won't spread
as quickly as it is right now.

Also, defining 'windows' is pretty hard too. Does it include IE ? Does it
include IIS ?

	-Arun