Re: [LI] Postgres

>     Has anybody succesfully installed and used postgres server. Could
> somebody explain to me as to how to go about installing it? Another
> thing...... I have read the HOWTO and its help. But it says something about
> a .gz file which i have to unzip into /usr/src/pgsql. now this file i do not
> find on PCQ RH 6.1. However I was able to find the binary which when run
> says " not able to find data PGDATA not set" etc.... What is postmaster and
> should it be run before postgres is run. Does it run automatically when i
> boot into the system?

HOWTOs are normally not distribution specific. They normally talk about
getting the source code, compiling and then installing.

The default installation on RH6.1 is good enough. Just start postgresql
from /etc/rc.d/init.d. (Use "setup" to add relevant link in your
rc<runlevel>.d dir)

use commands like "createdb", "createuser", "destrydb" etc. (man|info).

You can use "pgaccess" to get a graphical interface.

--jaju