[LI] compiling kernel in slackware 3.2

I had installed slackware 3.2 today, the full installation took only inside
400 mb. Then I tried re-compiling the kernel in my new installation using
Slackware 3.2, since i dont want the startup to probe pcimca and scsi.

I did make xconfig in an xterm.
choose the appropriate options, saved and gave
make dep; make clean; make zlilo
rdev /vmlinuz 1
make modules
make modules_install

then i restarted the system, to find that the kernel was doing the same
thing as before.
did i do some thing wrong ?
I am doing it again now.

also I could not understand, the lilo boot shows lilo then wait indefenite.
when i press <ctrl> the boot comes
ie it shows "LILO " first then on pressing <ctrl> "LILO boot:" comes
then i can choose l or w.

also in minicom, the initialisation of modem is too slow, I tried the shell
access 172223 for vsnl
I got connected but only the display went till "(((((" and stopped.
I could bail out using <alt>Z X.

Linux: for a healthier and no problem computing