[LI] Switching between Window Managers(GNOME & KDE)

On Wed, 17 Nov Sharukh wrote

>The gnome on my machine takes ages to load up so I thought I'd uninstall
>Gnome.
>
>rpm -e gnome (also rpm -e Gnome) gives the message: package not installed.
>
>any idea why ? it is there on the system, because X loads up with gnome.
>
>in other words, how can I switch from gnome to kde or another wm. Gnome (or
>is it X itself ??) locks up my keyboard and mouse.
>
>Sharukh.

    Well, GNOME ,being a fancy desktop,could take its toll on many systems
(Hey not mine,P200MHz 32 MB).So ,many would like to use other WMs
(Window Managers).Here goes how

Start X ( or xinit would do ) and at the command prompt type 'switch-desk'
(without the quotes).If it is not installed install it.
>From the menu choose KDE or After Step and click 'Ok'
On restarting X your WM changes.

Another way of doing this is by running runlevel 5
At the prompt type 'init 5'
>From the menu at the Login Window Choose your desktop.

Once you start KDE use 'kpackage' to uninstall GNOME and other packages.
Your uninstall doesnt work because no packages with gnome are installed.
The package comes as gnome-*.rpm , where * corresponds to many things
and I can't remember them.

If you want to uninstall the packages from the console itself by using the
rpm
command,then mount your RedHat CD
#mount /mnt/cdrom
#cd /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS
#ls gnome*
Here you will see a list of gnome apps which I think should be installed.
Uninstall by using these package names without giving the versin number.
For eg. To uninstall gnome-package.x.y.z
type
#rpm -e gnome-package

That should do.

As for your Keyboard and Mouse Problem,I think they are not configured
properly.
Type setup at the prompt and run the keyboard configuration and
mouse-configuration
from the options and configure the devices properly.

All this should be done as root.

Pardon me if my explanation is long and boring.

  --Mahendra M (i-Mac)
RV College of Engineering ,Bangalore.