Re: [LI] 2 distros, one computer

>->Dear Atul
>->
>->Why do you think that sharing /home was not a good idea? With shared
>->/home, all the mail and other work would be in one place . It really
>->looks like a very convenient way of using multiple distributions.
>->
>->If there are any technical reasons, could you elaborate?
>->
>
>It is certainly feasible.  In fact in our organization, /home is shared not
>only by different distributions, but by windows also through smb, by other
>linux machines through nfs.  This is convenient for us because everyone's
>work gets backed up regularly from a single machine.  On the same machines,
>we can share swap partition, homes, and also if necessary /tmp, if you have
>it on a different partition.

I do think it is okay if the distros differ in verson only and not in
companies, ie, it is not too safe to share a /home across RH and SLW, cause
they may be using different syntax for rc files etc as well as paths. but if
the systems are customised and strictly administered, it is possible and no
big techie reason is there that you should not try it out.