Re: [LI] DSL cable modem connection to the internet

aravind venkataraman proclaimed:
> dishnet has started offering DSL cable modem connection in chennai. An USB
> cable modem is provided at the user end. a generous relative may sponsor my
> connnection;-)

Wait a minute.  DSL Cable modem?  I thought DSL and Cable modems were
competing technologies.

> my query is.. can this be setup on a linux box running redhat 6.0 or pcq
> redhat6.1 any experience, ideas and opinions.

You need USB support in the kernel.  This could be achieved with patches to
the kernel (not for the faint of heart).  If you are the experimentive kind
then go ahead with it.  If you are not very comfoirtable with kernel
patching and compilation look for an alternative cable modem.  Perhaps
something that hooks up to an ethernet card.

Thaths
--
   "English.  Pfft.  Who needs that?  I'm never going to England."
                      -- Homer J. Simpson