[LI] Trouble with ppp in RedHat 6.1

Hi all,

	I am having trouble with ppp in RedHat 6.1. I have been using ppp
on RH5.2 for a long time but never had problems with it.
	We connect to vsnl through a dialup that stays up for 9-12 hours a
day. The trouble is when I connect, I can ping, telnet, talk to the
outside world. But any large transfer (over http, ftp, smtp - large
attachment mails etc.) goes on for a while (about 3-4 minutes) and then it
just ceases to download. At the same time I can open another connection of
whatever type from another login session and that too goes on for a while
and freezes. At no point does it happen that I can't initiate a
connection - but almost every connection (TCP session to be precise)
freezes after it has transferred about 30-50KB.
	I don't know what is going wrong. This same setup (the same modem,
phone line and machine) was working *perfectly* well with RedHat 5.2.
	Initially I was using RedHat 6.1 that I had myself had downloaded.
Later to eliminate the possibility that the download I had may be corrupt,
I tried the November PCQ CD (RH 6.1). But the same had the same problems
with that.
	Any help will be appreciated.

	Regards,
	Kedar.
PS - Here is info related to my pppd command line and the chat script. I
don't think there is a problem with chatscript - it works well with RedHat
5.2. I am not so sure about pppd commandline and /etc/ppp/options file.

chatscript -
===========
TIMEOUT 15
"" ATZ
TIMEOUT 15
"" "ATX1L3S10=100"
OK "ATDT 0,,172222"
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT BUSY
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
ABORT WAITING
TIMEOUT 45
CONNECT ""
TIMEOUT 20
sername: MyVSNLLoginName
assword: VerySecret

pppd command line:-
nohup /usr/sbin/pppd connect 'chat -f /etc/ppp/chatscript' /dev/modem
115200 debug crtscts modem defaultroute noauth persist noipdefault

NOTE:
=====
	I begin pppd through /etc/inittab via a shell script that contains
the above pppd commandline. And yes I have made sure that the chatscript
in /etc/ppp is the same as the one that worked with RedHat 5.2.