Re: [LI] Downgrading pppd & lpd?? - Atul

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Sanjay Dutt wrote:

> Hi Jeffrey,
>
> I think the kernel has the printer stuff as a module. My /etc/conf.modules
> file has the first line reading "alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc"
> (without the quotes).

Good diagnosis.

The issue here is that the parallel port is used for a lot of other things
apart from plain old printing these days, hence RHL seems to avoid
pre-loading the module to avoid causing problems. Dumb, but does not
render the machine unusable, does it?

Funny enough - on my crummy old P-133 server, the module loads just fine
and on its own.

Check your BIOS settings and make sure that the are 378/IRQ7.

Atul