[LI] Need help

Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 15:36:20 +0530
From: paradigm@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [LI] Need help

Hi all,

Finally I installed Red Hat 6.1 from PCQ-CD Nov.  Please help me the
following queries.

1.      I need to setup a file server under Linux.  Is it possible to
access
windows 95 system to Linux file server?  If yes, How?

Use Samba.  It is a part of the distribution.    Samba is a daemon
(actually two: smbd and nmbd) that needs to be configured and run at
startup.  You can use the RH control panel for this if you are not happy
with the tty interface.  You can find the documentation in
/usr/doc/samba____ (just type cd /usr/doc/sam, and then hit the [TAB]
key.  Linux will do the rest for you.  You will also find a detailed
HOWTO called SMB-HOWTO under /usr/doc/HOWTO.  Samba uses Microsoft's SMB
protocol to exchange files with Microsoft OS's and can emulate a NT
server or a NT domain.  If you're looking to emulate a Netware server,
look at the MarsNWE package that is also a part of the distribution.

2.      I want to change current display mode from 640X480 to 800X600
(Cirrus
1Mb svga).  Is it possible to change this like in windows display
properties?

Hit Ctrl-Alt-Grey+ when in X. This will cycle you through available
resolutions if you have set X up correctly with your video card.  Also,
to set the card up, edit your XF86Config file
(/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Setup).  Open it in a text editor, locate the
server type you're using (I think it will be XF86_SVGA, and add "800
600" in the modes line.

3.      We use HP Monitor (Bean Stalk -very old type), but it is not
detecting
when installing.  I given generic monitor, now even screen saver is not
able to see, only default screen saver is working.

No idea.

4.      When use GNOME help browser the keyboard's up and down arrow
keys is not
moving, anything is wrong with keyboard?

Here neither.

5.      How do I check whether Linux detects Ethernet card (NE2000)?
After Linux boots, stay in the tty mode (i.e. do not start X) and type
 dmesg |less

This will list the startup messages, in which you will see the ethernet
card ident and config messages somewhere near the end.  The ethernet
message will look something like

ne2k-pci.c:v0.99L 2/7/98 ...........   (This is the driver init message)

The last line will read something like
eth0: NE2000 found at 0x...., IRQ...  et al (this is the card init
message)

If you're able to see this or similar, it means your card has been
detected and initialised.

If you are able to get this, next type

ifconfig

You will get two paras of info, one for the lo interface, which is the
loopback, and the other for eth0, which is your network card.  If you
have got this far and are able to see something like

eth0    Link encap:Ethernet        HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx  (six grps
of 2 nos. each)
           inet addr:XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX. ........ (other info)
           RX packets:xx errors:x dropped:x overruns:x frame:x
           TX packets:xx errors:x dropped:x overruns:x carrier:x
            collisions:x
            Interrupt:X    Base address:0x....
            (Note:x, X represent numbers, .... represents other info as
well as numbers),

            your card is working and TCP/IP is enabled.

If you have any further problems, please respond at my e-mail address.

S. Krishnan