Re: [LI] Double byte characters support Linux

In addition to the info provided by 'thaths' you can find more at
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html
This site has info about using Unicode and UTF8 encoding in Linux and
links to some good sites dealing with multibyte characters. You can
also look at the archives of linux-utf8 mailing list to know about
the recent developments in multiple language support at
http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-utf8/

> Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 13:21:40 +0500
> From: Active Technologies <acctive@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [LI] Double byte characters support Linux
>
> Hi !
>
> 1. Does anyone know whether double byte characters like Japanese are
> supported in Linux.  I have checked the THAI-Howto, but that does not
help.

Yes, multibyte characters are supported under linux. UTF8 would be the
best
to handle all languages and there are new versions of programs which can

handle it. Programs like:
1) xterm with option -u8
2) emacs with custom key binding
3) yudit (editor)
4) mined (editor)
5) less

Besides this individual languages had their own ways of support in Linux

using different encodings.
ISCII support info can be obtained from the following site:
 http://members.tripod.com/~ilinux/

HTH
-swapan