Re: [LI] my :-) and :-( experiences with RHL 6.1

> Actually I got 'enlightened' about it only yesterday by jaju. I CAN TELL
> YOU THAT.
> Yes, there is 'something' I can tell people here.. Enlightenment is the
> Desktop Enivronment
> while [like win 3.1 closely may be - no flames on this please] while
> your Gnome is a window/file
> manager package.. now do not ask my anything else [buried back in the
> books]

Two concepts. Window manager. Desktop Manager.
Window manager just manages windows. How when where which what color what
style etc
Desktop manager gives you more than that. API. Similar to the whole Windows
concept.
GNOME KDE etc are Desktop managers. They give you API.

There were other sort-of APIs available even before the concept of Desktop
managers such as Athena or Xaw or Xaw3d but they are generally called
widgets because I think they don't give you everything. They are
concentrated upon look-and-feel issues. Some newer examples are Qt. I don't
know if Qt has functions for mail news www etc. ????

Maybe someone else can better explain the difference between a widget and a
[KDE, Gnome] API.