[LI] system shutdown

My notorious system! Installed everything from PCQ Nov [familiar...
isn't everyone doing it already?]. There are problems with SiS card.
But I am not bothered as I am having the card replaces soon with a
Trident.

At the time of shutdown, three-finger-exercise works neither for Win nor
for Linux. I could have ascribed that to a faulty left-ctrl key which
works very fine in DOS games!

1. Is the shutdown [Win/Linux] key-specific? I can not shut-down my
Linux machine
   and have to login as root and then 'HALT' the system.
2. After this, all shutdown/term messages appear but the last screen is
full of
   garbage where I have to 'reset' the machine. THIS DOES NOT LEAD TO
fsck telling
   me that partition was not cleanly unmounted.

Where is the problem? Is it the keyboard? What should there be junk on a
shutdown
machine before the machine really jams in the way, power on et al?